It was on this day, 28th February, three years ago, when the University of Medical Sciences of Bhutan was officially launched as Khesar Gyalpo University of Medical Sciences of Bhutan by her Majesty the Gyaltshen Ashi Jetsun Pema Wangchuck.
The Chief Guest, His Excellency, Lyonpo Tandin Wangchuk, Minister for Health and the Chairperson for the Governing Council of the University, His Excellency Lyonpo Thakur Singh Powdyel, the Chairperson for the Advisory Board of the University, Distinguished Guests, Faculties, Staff and the Students attended the event.
The event begun with the offering of marching, National Anthem, offering of Zhapten to His Majesty the King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuk – the Chancellor of the University followed by University Song.
As a gesture and prayers for the well being of the University family in particular and all sentient beings in general, His Excellencies and President – KGUMSB offered the butter lamp followed by welcome speech by President – KGUMSB and addressed by His Excellency Lyonpo.
His Excellency Lyonpo Launched the following new programs:
The Faculty of Nursing and Public Health in consultation with experts from various relevant stakeholders has developed short courses to update skills and knowledge of different health professionals, which will provide improved and quality care to the patients of different health care needs.
The courses are:
- Pediatric Critical Care Nursing, which is a 7 months course. This course will enhance knowledge and skills of nurses to provide specialized care for pediatric critical ill patients that require intensive nursing and medical care.
- Neonatal Critical Care Nursing. It is also a 7 months course which will enhance knowledge and skills of nurses to provide specialized care for neonatal and premature babies that are critically ill that require intensive nursing and medical care.
- Lay-Nga and basic Nursing Care which is a 3 months course. In addition, it will enable menpas to enhance their knowledge and skills to provide five eliminative therapies and enhances knowledge and skills in management of in patients during therapy.
- Midwifery and Essential New born care which is also a 3 months course has been developed to enhance knowledge and build the competency of community health workers and nurses to provide comprehensive care an management of woman during pregnancy, labour, childbirth, postnatal and essential care to new born to improve the mother and child care services and to reduce morbidity and mortality.
- Emergency Medical responder which is both short and Diploma course. This will strengthen the existing health emergency services to provide care and manage any type of health emergency situations.
As per the vision of Health Ministry, Faculty of Traditional Medicine, in collaboration with Department of Traditional Medicine Services has come up with the Certificate Course in Menjong-Sorig Spa and Wellness. The duration of the program is 3 months and it will cover 5 modules. The training program will equip the graduates with massage skills, which remained in the gSowa-Rigpa texts till now.
sMen-jong gSo-rig Journal which is a publication of the Faculty of Traditional Medicine. This journal is an annual publication and it consists of reviews, commentaries and research findings on traditional medicine.
The University has developed the Khesar Gyalpo University Information System (KGUIS), which is a web-based software that manages various operations including student and staff data. It provides students, faculties and staff with useful tools to automate the daily routine of simple tasks making it more centralized and easier to keep them updated. The users can access the system from anywhere with an internet connection.