The Faculty of Traditional Medicine, Khesar Gyalpo University of Medical Sciences of Bhutan has a Museum to showcase all the raw material ingredients that are used for the preparation of traditional medicines. There are three main types of raw materials: medicinal plants, minerals and animal parts. The medicinal plants are classified into high altitude medicinal plants and low altitude medicinal plants and forms a major part of the raw materials. There are currently 116 high altitude medicinal plants (2000 to 5000 meters above sea level) and 108 low altitude medicinal plants (below 2000 meters above sea level) used for the production of traditional medicines. The high altitude medicinal plants are collected from Lingshi in Thimphu district during peak monsoon season i.e. Jun, Jul and Aug and the low altitude medicinal plants are collected from Langthel in Trongsa district during winter months i.e. Nov, Dec and Jan. All medicinal plants are collected by the farmers of the local area and sold to the Menjong Sorig Pharmaceutical (MSP) and it is one of the economic activities of the remote areas. There are drying centres in both these places where pre-processing like sorting, cleaning, washing, chopping and drying are carried out before transporting to MSP in Thimphu. Around 30 metric tons of medicinal plants are collected every year. More than 90% of raw materials are sourced from within the country and the remaining 10% are imported from India as they not available in the country.
There are Sowa Rigpa thankas on display depicting embryology, pathology, meridian points for acupressure, bloodletting, acupuncture and gold needle. Dongdrem – the allegorical tree of rGyushi are also displayed in thanka form. Also on display are some minerals and finished products of traditional medicines.
It is outsourced and run by a private firm by paying rental fee. There is also a small souvenir shop at the museum where they sell the publications on traditional medicine.
There is a cafeteria in the ground floor of the Faculty of Traditional Medicine run by a private firm that provides exotic menus from local dishes to international cuisines. They also provide catering services and host training programmes, marriage parties and birthday celebrations. It is open from Monday to Saturday and all are welcome to taste the dishes.
3. Guest House
Ten rooms on the top floor of the hostel are maintained as the guest house with a separate kitchen and toilet for the convenience of the guests. The guest rooms are fully furnished and rental charge is Nu. 400/- per night. All are welcome to use the guest house. The cafeteria is very close by and one can have the meals from there. Also provided are gas stove with utensils and water boiler for convenience.
4. Multipurpose hall
There is a fully furnished multipurpose hall for holding important events, conferences and teaching sessions with audio visual facilities. The seating capacity is about 200 persons and can be arranged in any desired manner as the chairs are not fixed on the floor. The rental charge is Nu. 5000/- per day and prior booking is mandatory.
5. Coaster Bus
The Institute has a 25 seater Toyota Coaster Bus that can be hired when there are no Institute programmes. The hire charge is Nu. 35/- per kilometer or Nu. 4500/- per day for Thimphu local and for other dzongkhags is Nu. 8000/- per day and prior booking is mandatory